Sunday 23 October 2011

Orphanage 1

As I type this I have 8 little faces watching me pushing as close to me as possible to see what I am doing! I am at Ian's orphanage where he has about 140 children, many of whom are HIV+, disabled physically and mentally and many with cerebral palsy as well as other lovely children. It is a very poor orphanage and and facilities aren't that wonderful but am having a busy and wonderful time. Please see photos for more idea of what it is like. Just took 19 girls out for a 2 hour walk - on very rough roads and all uphill but they had a wonderful time and one of them has a prosthesis as she had part of her leg amputated when she was 5 because of a snake bite - she is now about 18. Little children are looking over my shoulder as I do this!
Enjoy the pics.
Crazy chaos as I try to get a matatu

chaos only gets worse when you start driving!

This is what I travelled 3 hours in to get where I was going!

 
Emanuel - before the Occupational Therapist came in January this year, this gorgeous little boy couldn't move or hold his head up. He loves me and wants me to pick him up every time I see him - yes of course I do!

This is Charity, she was raised by Baboons until she was 6 - she is now 10 - still trying to train her in many things but she is slowly getting there. Has some mental disabilities as well.

This is gorgeous Joseph who laughs every time I say hello - and speaks in a language I can't understand. The happiest boy I have ever seen.

Joseph - ex street kids and day guard - and a great help to Ian. Soon to be a dad.

The oven they bake all their bread rolls in

Grace - the other children have no worries pushing these diabled children in their wheelchairs wherever they need to go.

These are the classrooms - I think they look like old stables - but by having the primary school here the children who are disabled can go to school

Another classroom - Year 8

My sleeping companion who is to keep the rats out of my room! But I am allergic to him and besides, he wakes me very early in the morning so I will have to pray the rats still think he is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment