Tuesday 18 September 2012

Kruger Park

Have just got back to J'burg having hired a car and driven the 5 hours to Kruger on Saturday and back today, via the centre of J'burg city as had to drop Prosper to the bus there - he is a young man who I got to know there and came down to come to Kruger with me as I certainly wasn't driving that far by myself! Talk about stressful driving - people and cars everywhere - having to dodge them and try to get in the right lane and dodge taxis coming everywhere and them having to dodge me as I tried to get into the right lane and work out where to go, as well as not being very comfortable being there as not the safest place to drive or be! However I finally made it then found the hire car place in the basement of an underground car park - go figure that logic - dropped my car and called a taxi back to where I am staying.
Kruger was great but nowhere near the animals in Kenya. Didn't see any cats although some who did the nite drive last nite saw leopard, lion and cheetah. We did our day and night safaris in the rain and freezing cold in an open vehicle! Maybe not the best time but with only 2 days didn't have much choice. But got to see a porcupine and other night animals as well as elephant, whole new experience having an elephant right beside the open vehicle at night.
The place we stayed had zebra and giraffe and kudu and warthogs joining us regularly and saw ostrich and baboons on our walk as well. Will post pics as soon as I am able.
Leave in the morning for Zimbabwe - have already talked to a couple of the kids I want to see so am very much looking forward to catching up with them. Stay tuned ...

1 comment:

  1. entertaining as always Barb....Can't wait to hear and see how the children react to seeing you again. Gorgeous sunny cloudless blue Australian skies as far as the eye can see today!

    ReplyDelete