Sunday 13 November 2011

Maasai Land ...

I had the most wonderful time with the Maasai people for the last 2 days and nights - their homes may not be what I am used to but the welcome and friendliness of the people made it worthwhile - and actually a bed made of sticks and cow hide is actually quite comfortable! Enjoy the photos. I will miss these people and all those in Kenya I have grown to love. I leave tomorrow (Monday night) for Zimbabwe and am sure the venture will continue in a totally different way. But I will look forward to returning to once again spend time with my Kenyan friends.
The "pick up" I had to travel almost an hour and a half in - lucky I got to sit in the front, although with 4 of us squashed in there was a little "tight". It was a rather worn and battered vehicle - I could see light around the door so wasn't sure if it was shut properly but it didn't fly open so that was a bonus.

Part of the road - a creek crossing - remember this photo when you see the last picture of my mode of transport for the return trip!

Solomon and I - this is his family's village and he invited me to come to stay with them.

The house I would be sleeping in - made of sticks and cow dung. And notice the height of the house and the height of me! Plus there are no windows (see picture below)

The kitchen where all cooking is done and light and warms are given (plus LOTS of smoke)



My little shadow Elizabeth and Namnyat (me) - that is my new Maasai name - and I have even been offered a spot to build my house, right next to the central cow corral.

The "gate" to the corral where all the houses are as well as the animals pens - as they need to keep them inside the Bomar as there are wild animals such as leopards and hyenas who would easily kill the cattle, sheep and goats. Tiny baby goats are kept inside the houses in their own special room, at night.

The goats coming home, the women come out with cups and grab one and milk them as they go past. Very efficient way of getting your goats milk.

Goats penned for the night.

There are no toilets so I was up before daybreak to use wherever I could find inside the "fence" as I wasn't venturing outside to see if leopards or hyena were about!
The cows came in a bit after dark as because it is so dry they need to be taken further for food each day. They are right in the centre of the Bomar with the houses on the outside of their fence.

My shadow and I at the cattle troughs where they baptised over 60 people earlier this year

The garden started by my friend Vanessa - is growing really well - but they need to expand it to better feed the whole community. Maasai don't traditionally keep gardens but they are doing wonderfully with this one.

My first night sleeping with my little shadow. Notice the cow dung walls.


They had built some "bathing" houses - my bucket of cold water ready to use. Was a 12 minute walk to here where there is a tap with water, across a rocky, dry, desert landscape with just a few tracks but you really can't see any buildings until you are almost there! Plenty of animals around - donkeys, goats, cows, and then the wild ones but unfortunatley (or fortunately) I didn't see any while I was walking.


Notice behind here the bed and then the "window" - that small area of light. The roof is quite black because of the smoke and my eyes took a while to adjust but it was OK.
Ladies in Church - dressed absolutely beautifully in their best clothes and necklaces. The colours are amazing.


Sitting waiting for lunch
Outside the church

Well in these areas on Sunday there is no transport so here I got for a 45 minute ride on the rocky, gravelly, dusty, dirt road - was fun really. Now I think I have used all modes of public transport in Kenya! After we got back to town I got a Matatu to Nairobi - the crowded ones! What a way to end a wonderful time.

And of course we had to bring a cat home - tied up - in a bag - then in a box - tied again! Hope it enjoyed the ride as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment